So, I said in my previous bathroom post I would tell you about my shelves. I wanted to put a set of shelves or a cabinet above the toilet. I wanted white, with at least three shelves I could put baskets on, and something deep enough to hold all my junk as I had to give up vanity space due to the heater vent/pedestal sink incident. I searched all the major home improvement stores, Target, and even on Amazon.com. I found styles I liked, but they weren’t deep enough or the reviews for them suggested the materials were cheap or they were really expensive. Since I couldn’t find what I wanted, I decided to build my own shelves.
I went to Home Depot and purchased what they call “common boards.” After some research I found out these are pine boards that are not in as beautiful of shape for something like floors, trim, or other furniture building, but I was not concerned as I intended to paint them. The boards were 7 1/2 ” wide, which was perfect for baskets. At the time I was lacking for a circular saw, so I used the good old miter box that Taylor had fashioned for the bathroom remodel. See, we purchased this run-of-the mill miter box for cutting trim in the bathroom, but soon found out the channel was too narrow for my 5″+ trim! Taylor found some wood in my garage, cut the box in half (I have no idea how), and fashioned a wider box for us. It works great!
Anyway, I measured the space above the toilet and determined my dimensions. I cut all my boards with the miter box and used finish nails and adhesive to fit them all together because I didn’t want my nail holes to show, and I could countersink these nails and putty over the holes later.
Next, I cut the shelves for the middle and squared up the shelves and nailed them together. I did not put on a back to the shelves, as I wanted the green paint to show through.
Once everything was put together I painted and waited a few days to dry. When it was time to hang them I took some 1 1/2″ pine boards to use as braces for attaching to the wall. This wall is above the toilet, so I knew the sewer vent ran up the wall to the ceiling. I, of course, did not want to puncture this, so placement of the mounts would be critical. Additionally, when the floor was out I was able to see that there were no studs in this wall except at the corner. Therefore mounting to studs would be impossible.
Because of the age of this house the walls are all plaster and lath, which means they are thick but would hold toggle bolt anchors much like the one pictured here. I just happened to have some fairly large ones on hand, so I was ready to hang! I had never used toggle bolt anchors before, so I Googled how to use them. I don’t know about you, but I need visuals when looking at tutorials, so I found this YouTube video that showed me exactly what to do!
After the shelves were hung I was on a mission to find baskets to hide all my things! I went to Michaels and found Some cute green baskets that were perfect for matching the paint. I broke them up with some natural colored baskets and filled them with all my junk. I am VERY pleased with my build. I got exactly what I wanted and it didn’t cost me $100 to do. Plus, I get the pride in pointing out that I built them!