Most of the light fixtures in my house are what I would call original. If they are not the original fixtures, they are from the proper era and fulfill my requirements of style. So, when I moved in and saw the hideous fixture in my office, I knew it had to be replaced.
This fixture is indeed old. It has the frayed cloth wiring cover, and old style attachments, but it was hideous, hanging too low, letting off too little light, and a little frightening with the exposed wires. I wanted to replace it immediately, but I had to find just the right fixture.
On an impromptu trip the day before my birthday in December, Chet and I visited a few antique stores in some rural towns. We found this three chain globe in the coolest old hardware-turned-antique store. They had several, but this one spoke to me. At $25 I thought it was a bargain (although I now think I might have been hosed).
My next mission was to find a fixture for this globe. This proved to be tougher than I expected. There were hundreds of globes out there without any fixtures to attach them! The biggest issue was that I had no idea what to call this type of fixture. I finally found one on eBay that I liked at a reasonable price. I paid $20 plus shipping for this beauty.
There was still one part missing: The hardware. This globe requires chains to hold it on. I again scoured the internet trying to find these special chains, and finally ordered the parts from some shady store I never heard of (Thank goodness for PayPal). They were only a few dollars, but for what I ended up with you could probably save time and money finding the same parts at a hardware store.
For months and months I put off hanging this fixture. The idea of heading to the basement to shut off the electricity, then heading to the second floor to install the fixture, just seemed tedious and boring. I don’t do boring. I just wanted to snap my fingers and have it be installed. Tonight I finally got the motivation to hang it because Chet was home to help, and I was tired of cleaning around it as it sat on my desk (Me clean? Yeah right. I mean Charlene was tired of cleaning around it).
We thought we had this fixture all figured out…until we tried to put a light bulb into it. I use fluorescent lights because they are more efficient, but the bases of them are so darn thick that sometimes they have a hard time fitting into older fixtures. The chains and the bulb would not fit into the fixture together. The choices were to use a 60 watt equivalent fluorescent bulb, use a 60 watt incandescent bulb, or find a new way to hang the chains that took up less space. Chet tried creating little washers out of cut up beer cans (he had waaaaay too much fun emptying cans and cutting them up), and we took a trip to the hardware store to see if we could find anything innovative. Finally Chet thought of a socket extension. Home Depot happened to have this one for $2.74, which in my book is practically giving it away! Regardless, it worked.
The outcome is gorgeous if you ask me! I am so happy with this new old fixture. I think it really adds to the decor and keeps to the tradition of the house. The pink is perfect and the extension lets me use a 75 watt equivalent bulb. I am so very pleased! (P.S. Chet took this picture because I am apparently horrible at taking pictures of light fixtures).