One thing I really love about having a backyard is having a clothesline. I love to hang things like sheets, and towels, and rugs, and garments that can’t be dried in the electric dryer out on the line instead of using more energy in the dryer or messing with a drying rack. We also use things like cloth napkins everyday, and it seems such a waste to use extra energy to dry them when I could use the beautiful spring and summer air to do the job for me. The problem is that I had to take mine down last fall and was itching to hang some things outside!
Last fall when we were building the coop we had to remove the clothesline pole behind the garage. I knew I was going to want to put up new poles this spring, so I started watching Craigslist (surprise), but everyone wanted a fortune for them! I thought I was going to have to break down and spend $200 for new ones on Amazon.com, when I found some for only $25 for the pair in a small town about 30 minutes north. They have laid in the back yard for months while we wait for the winter to pass, and the weather was beautiful enough this week for me to get them set.
Chet was thankfully out of town when I decided to set the poles. He hates the looks of them, but I do all the household laundry, so he can just suck it up and deal with it. I first started by Googling how far apart poles should be, and decided on 25 feet for mine. I then dug the holes and set the poles in Quikcrete. Remember to use a level! And always make sure to call and have a locate done before you dig. I had one done last year when we tilled, so I know where the lines are in the backyard.
I let the poles set for a few days before messing with them so they would stay level. They were pretty ugly so I decided to make them more tolerable to Chet’s sight by painting them a hunter green. Ace Hardware had Rust-Oleum on sale for $2.50 a can, so I stocked up on a couple different shades. Spray paint is always handy to have around! While I was there I also picked up some eye bolts so I could string the line.
After a good painting I installed the eye bolts and filled the holes around the base. Then I strung a coated clothesline. I am pretty happy and excited about how it turned out. I think they look really nice all painted and I can’t wait until laundry day next weekend to try them out!
To top the cake, I ended up with a treasure a few weeks ago that goes right along with my clothesline. Chet had invited me over to The Shop to help him do some spring cleaning, as we are still getting rid of the junk left behind by the previous owner of 75 years. I was bagging trash and happened to look up and see the coolest old clothespin bag! It was dirty and faded, but it was old and filled with old fashioned clothespins! Below you can see the bag I found on the left, and what it looked like new on the right. It is faded, but still an awesome and usable find to me! And it was free!!!
I am pretty happy this project is complete. Next week I hope to post about another outside project I have been working on.