It has been a while since I posted anything. Mostly because only boring work has been done over the last few months. But as I near the end of the basement makeover, I am excited to post some progress. My last post about the basement in October showed you how I managed to ruin my legs for life with my genius slab building. Regardless, the slab turned out to be a crappy lay, but it does the job…I hope.
As you can see in the picture, after everything was cured I crawled into the space and started patching all the cracks in the walls. I did this in the whole basement. I used Drylok hydraulic cement from Home Depot to seal all the cracks in the cinderblocks. It took quite a while, but it was worth the effort. The basement is much dryer and actually quite livable now.
After sealing all the cracks, I painted all the un-painted cinderblocks with Drylok Masonry Waterproofer. All the other walls in the basement were previously painted, so I used Kilz2 Primer on them to prep for paint.
I wanted to paint the basement a retro color to celebrate the period it was built. I picked this Behr color, Misty Meadow, because it was light, but something I think I would see in a 1920s home. The color turned out beautiful, and I really love it!
After the walls were painted, I started patching the floor with the Dryloc cement. Most of the cracks were superficial, but I wanted the floor to be as sealed as I could get it before painting.
Unfortunately I had this big hole in the floor where I wanted to put the washer and dryer. I took a sledge to it and opened it up a bit to make sure there was proper support underneath, and then filled the hole.
I mixed up Quikcrete to fill the hole, and trowled it smooth. Unfortunately, after I walked away from my masterpiece, Tammy the foster dog decided to leave her mark. I think it is only fitting that it have dog prints in it, so I didn’t try to fix it.
After all the patches were dry, I vacuumed the floor with my birthday present, and scrubbed it clean with a solution of Dawn dishsoap and water and a shop broom. After cleaning, I put down concrete floor primer, and then the first coat of Behr Concrete and Garage Paint with Epoxy in Silver Grey.
I ended up putting down two coats of paint, and it turned out beautiful! The whole basement just feels cleaner and brighter, and I actually enjoy spending time down there instead of running down and up as fast as I can. As I mentioned above, I want to move the washer and dryer downstairs, so my next post will be about prepping for that fiasco.