Do you remember in February when I purchased this baby? (scroll down to the bottom of the post). I was looking for a new hutch of the Mid Century style, and came across that one for $175. The catch was that the evil woman selling it had decided to start painting it red. PAINTING IT! Who does that? Don’t paint wood. It makes me angry.
Anyway, in case you can’t remember, because of the paint issue, I talked her down to $100. The hutch was perfect, with a ton of little drawers to hide my crap, and some cool brass pulls to funky it up. I was smitten. And into the garage it went. With all my other hoard.
I promised Chet this summer I would clean out the garage. Mostly I just want to park my truck in there, but if it makes him happy too it is a win-win! I have made some great progress, which is for another post, but I still had that hutch sitting in the middle. I decided last weekend it was time to refinish it.
I made a trip to Home Depot and purchased some stripper. I am not into sanding for 900 hours, so I like to strip off as much poly as I can. I decided to try a more eco friendly version, and purchased EZ Strip. It was easy to apply, and didn’t have a strong odor, but it wasn’t super effective. It did get the job done, but it took about twice as long as the normal murder stripper would as I had to apply two coats to get everything off. I would certainly recommend it for inside projects, but if you have sufficient ventilation outside, I would buy the full strength kind.
The other thing I bought was Brasso. I have no idea how I know about this stuff (probably from my mother), but it works great for shining up old brass pulls. As you can see in the pic, a little elbow grease and the Brasso really brought some life back into those pulls!
Now back to refinishing…
After stripping the hutch I used my small hand sander and 220 grit sandpaper to clean things up. A wipe-down with clean water and an overnight dry set the stage for stain. I am not a fan of the blonde look of the 50s and 60s, so I searched for something darker. I love Minwax Early American for floors, but I wanted something with a little more depth. I didn’t really want a red tone, so I gambled on Minwax oil-based stain in Honey. I was afraid it would be too gray and drab, but it turned out to be the most lovely color!
Look at this finished product! It is so beautiful I can’t believe I did that! I topped the stain with three coats of Minwax polyurethane, and the grain is absolutely beautiful!
Chet helped me move it into the dining room, and I immediately filled it with all my crap. It is so nice to have drawers for placemats and cloth napkins (we use them daily here), trivets, and even a drawer full of stickers! (Don’t judge me!) I think that the final product is WAY better than the original, even before she added the paint not mentioned in the Craigslist ad.
The comparison is just night and day for me. I can’t believe it is the same hutch, and I am glad I took a risk on my refinishing skills. I think I see some more refinished pieces in my future! So worth it!