We had our first renter blunder situation yesterday. The renter of Jewell called and told me she had locked herself out. See, we only had keys to the front door. And, well, she went out the back door locking it without taking the chain off the front door first. So, she was locked out and we had no way in. I went over there with my skinny hands and a screwdriver and managed to get in, but I knew we needed to change that lock fast. It was in the plans all along, as the back lock was old and I didn’t think it was very secure. And the front door was switched out at some point, and we found the cool, antique, original door in the garage rafters. So, we were gonna change it out at some point…just not under so much pressure.
This evening after work, Chet and I headed to home depot to find some nice locks for the house. We have never changed locks before, so I watched a tutorial on YouTube before we went to make sure we got everything we needed. When looking for hole saws we came across this cool door installation kit, so of course we bought it! We love new, inexpensive toys! And it turned out to be REALLY helpful. I would suggest you get one if you ever have the need. Here is Chet using the template to cut the new hole. I forgot to take a pic of the finished lock installation, but you know what a deadbolt looks like I am sure. Regardless, I am happy that we have a more secure lock on the door, and I am sure the renter is happy to be able to enter through the back door instead of walking all around to the front of the house to get inside (parking is in back).
While we were there we loaded the original front door up into the truck and took it home to clean up and install the new lock on it. Later this week, or maybe next, we will just go slip the hinges and install the old door and put up the strike plate and be done. It will be nice to have that pretty old door back in its place!