It took several months, but I found a guy to build me custom lower cabinets, and I couldn’t be more in love. He looks like my dad and knew all my wants before I could even voice them! I am excited to see what he creates. I put down the first half of the payment around the first of April, and he estimates that they will be done the second week of May.
One of the tasks we need to complete before we can have the cabinets installed is refinishing the floor. That required tearing out the lower cabinets first, since the new cabinets will have a different footprint. This is a good before picture so you can see what we started with. Please ignore my dirty dishes. A dishwasher is on the list of things to install! YAY!
Before tearing out the cabinets we each took a nice shot of Fireball for courage and strength.
Here we are tearing shit apart! Our neighbor Penelope came over to take some pics for us. As you can see, we cut the countertop so we could keep the sink in place for the duration of the demo and refinishing. These cabinets were truly custom. Each cabinet was different, with different wood, different nails, and different construction. It was very interesting to see how it was all put together. And everything was very solid.
As always with home demo we found a couple of treasures. First was this hole and wire. Apparently this is the wire that goes to the light above the sink that I talked about in my last post. I will just chip away the plaster and treat it just like I did in the wall above. This hole, however is a different story, and it will show when the new cabinets are in. If I were a good DIYer, I would tear out the two slats and replace them so it was seamless. But I am not a good DIYer, I am a half assed DIYer! So I will probably just cut a little piece of wood to fit and patch it up with glue.
Another treasure we found was this hole in the wall. Apparently this is some sort of plumbing stack, and at some point they needed access. I guess if we need access in the future the plumber can come through the other side of the wall because no one is ruining my new cabinets!
After everything was torn out Chet rigged a very nice set of braces for the sink so we could continue to use it but be able to finish the floors under it.
A closer look of the area shows that the original cabinets were sitting on a different type of wood flooring, and had a different footprint than the 1940s cabinets. The next post will be about refinishing the floor! Getting so close!