It has been months since I have posted, but mostly because nothing exciting has been happening. I did strip all the wallpaper in the dining room and paint it, but it was yellow before, and I painted it yellow again, so not too exciting. The one thing I have been working on is trying to find someone to build me lower cabinets for the kitchen. This has turned out to be quite the chore. I don’t want press board cabinets that most companies try to sell, and I want a custom layout so I don’t want to buy boxes at Home Depot. So I have been on the hunt for a true carpenter, and have finally found one.
In the meantime, I thought I would get cracking on some demo. You probably remember that I removed all the linoleum from the floor of the kitchen several months ago. Well after that was complete I started tearing out the cabinet to the left of the kitchen sink. See, whomever installed it many years ago put it in a place that blocked me from opening the basement door all the way. You can see the door to the left of the cabinet, and see how close the cabinets are. My remedy was to remove the upper cabinet, and then when the new lowers are installed make sure they do not block the doorway.
Once the upper cabinet was removed, I found all kinds of treasures. First I found this really cool wallpaper! My estimate is that the cabinets were installed in the 40s and this wallpaper was probably from the 20s when the house was built. It was in great condition so I could tear off a keepsake.
Next I found this not so cool wiring issue. After I got everything torn out, I called in an electrician to gain his opinion on what needed to be done. He told me it was perfectly fine to chisel a channel in the plaster and tack down the wiring accordingly. The next problem was that I like the light to hang from the ceiling, and when I removed the cabinet I had to remove the false ceiling about the sink, so he suggested cutting a hole in the ceiling and installing a mount, which is what my dad and I did.
Here I am cutting the hole for the mount.
Once that was cut, we were able to complete the wiring and reinstall the old fixture. I have a different fixture that will be used in the finished kitchen, but I wasn’t ready to install it with all the construction in case it gets crazy in there and breaks. The next part of the construction phase is pulling out all the bottom cabinets and refinishing the floor while I wait for the cabinetmaker.